What is Stephen Ministry?
It is a ministry that provides the resources for Christian laypeople to minister to hurting people. The training involved teaches participants how to come alongside a hurting friend, loved one, or even a stranger and help them by listening and, most importantly, praying with and for that person.
For a moment, think about the following:
• People who are grieving the loss of a loved one
• People who are hospitalized
• People being treated for cancer
• People who are experiencing divorce
• People who have lost jobs
• People experiencing spiritual crisis
• People with major life transitions
This is just a short list of what people in our congregation and TV audience are going through. The following is a great way to explain the ministry: In summary, Stephen Ministry is made up of “After People” who come alongside and provide comfort and support by being the hands and feet of Christ in our culture. They are there:
• after the phone call you hoped you would never get.
• after the divorce papers are served and the bottom falls out of your life.
• after the funeral, when everyone has left and emotions come crashing in on you.
• after you are told the job you counted on is no longer there.
“And the King will answer them, ‘I assure you: Whenever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for me.’”
Matthew 25:40 HCSB
For more information contact Bob Solomon at Bob.Solomon@groveave.net